Remove this ad

Lead

Oct 14 12 2:25 PM

Tags : :

I want one of these ! It's a solar panel shaped like a cone and it rotates.

Anyone think it will work ?

http://v3solar.com/

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

Oct 14 12 4:05 PM

I'm curious why you would want it to spin? Since it's a circle it would seem spinning would only help if you had maintenance issues (dead areas in the panels).

I could see the cone shape being more effective in a urban setting where you have limited space. Locally here, wouldn't it make more sense to use a standard layout that focuses more of the panel towards the area where most of your sun comes from? So, let's say a majority of your sun for your property is in the morning, would the portion on the cone exposed to the afternoon/evening sun make up for smaller square footage exposed to the morning sun? Or are we close enough to equator that the longer exposure would make up for the smaller square footage of the cone? (less footprint but longer exposure time)?

Quote    Reply   

#2 [url]

Oct 14 12 5:20 PM

To me it looks like a scam, and there's been a lot of them. 750 watts per square meter is what you get to work with, and you get some fraction of that. The best panels out there run at better than 20 percent efficiency-- to get 20x that requires magic. Stacking them up makes no difference as again it's just a function of area. 

Of course the same thing applies to plants, but they're not near as efficient as panels. . . it's tough to get a half a percent in conversion. This doesn't keep people from trying, but if you want calories it simply takes area. They tried the same stunt with algae and it harvested a hell of a lot of funding for a while.

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

Nov 15 12 12:12 AM

As the price per watt of solar pv comes down the trend is to simply add more panels rather than fancier panels or special aiming technologies.  That works as long as you have room for panels.  Most of us living in puna (the boonies, cheap acreage not good for much else) would fit that category.  Granted if you live in the city you are out of luck, but with the way people are paving their whole house lot with either house or parking, even people in town could rack up some kws if PV got cheap enough.

I am gradually getting closer to getting a solar system set up at my place.  720 watts of panels, 200 amp-hr x 48 volt battery bank, 2700 watt inverter.  I hope to be able to run a reefer, TV, lights, and misc small electronics such as a phone.  I will know soon how it works.

I'll be lucky to get 2 kwh/day here and half of that will go to the reefer.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#5 [url]

Nov 15 12 10:06 AM

I have 2.4Kw of sun power the problem is old man sun some times goes to bed early and I don't get 2.4 Kw. Some times not half.  We he does stay up we run Nancy and my part of the house with it. Right now he goes to bed early about half the time. I store about 6 Kw but I try not to go below 45%, You never know when you will need power.

Bill

Quote    Reply   

#6 [url]

Nov 15 12 10:32 AM

Sorry Bill, I can't tell what you are saying.  You have 2.4 kw of panels, and sometimes do not get 2.4 kw-hr over the course of a day, and 6 kw-hrs of storage?  I would like to see what others are actually accumulating per day per kw of panel installed.

Quote    Reply   

#7 [url]

Nov 15 12 4:47 PM

We have 10 panels and get 2.4 Kw of power to the batteries on a good day.

Bill

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help