Remove this ad

Lead

Sep 29 12 7:38 AM

Tags : :

Just read a Mother Earth News article mentioning geothermal in the Hilo area and concern for it's environmental effect. At first thought, it seems that you have so much solar and wind resource there, that the effort to harvest geothermal (environmental risk or not) would not be worth it. What are some local thoughts, opinions on that?
I went to eng. school in Klamath Falls, OR where there is abundant and relatively easy to tap geothermal. There are some efforts around Newberry crater (near Bend) to "indirectly" tap geothermal. A dry supply and return well are dug, using some of the nasty chemicals from natural gas fracking. And so, some of the same environmental issues go along with it. Water is pumped through the wells to extract the heat.
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

Sep 29 12 1:54 PM

The geothermal issue here is complex and I'm pretty unsatisfied with the situation--and hardly more pleased with many of the for and against positions people hold. It would be great to have an intelligent dialogue, but I've found having an informed centrist position in a culture that tends to divide on extremist ideological lines is a strategy only certain to piss everyone off.

Quote    Reply   

#2 [url]

Sep 29 12 3:58 PM

"...but I've found having an informed centrist position in a culture that tends to divide on extremist ideological lines is a strategy only certain to piss everyone off."

Ain't that the truth!

A superior man is modest in his speech, but exceeds in his actions - Confucius

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help