Remove this ad

#21 [url]

Sep 22 12 12:01 PM

Not being a card-carrying member of any particular club, I nonetheless was perusing some ethical-schmethical rap (perhaps the Cynical Bastards club might issue me a card, heh), wherein this group's version of a Golden rule was cited:

"Always act so as to Elicit the best in others, and thereby yourself"

Boy would the devil be in the details of that one, I'd think. And yet, in the name of the Christian Golden rule, why you could carry out the Inquisition and feel that you are right in line. I much prefer the Chinese version that says "Don't do to others what you wouldn't want them to do to you."

But the above Elicit one...why, that would seem to make being a greedy bastard a little more problematic. Gonna have to give it some thought.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#22 [url]

Sep 22 12 9:06 PM

One thing I've certainly learned over the years is that people that have a sincere interest in ethical behavior set very hard concrete rules for themselves, and do so completely willingly. There's definitely a lot more people that have an interest in appearing ethical-- and there you get a different sort of phrasing and especially tendencies towards prohibitions rather than exhortations. At the end of the day it's worth considering that you can't really game the system-- as the undertakers kid I sure saw a hell of a lot of regrets and people who felt their lives were meaningless and without connection to the greater whole. I'd grimly point that everyone gets a scorecard: everyone has a profoundly meaningful and connected existence-- in a very Existentialist sense it can't be avoided -- the really dirty reality is that most people's connection to the whole is one of exploitation, destruction and their legacy one of loss-- there's a deadly serious meaning in lives like that, but so dark as taboo for many to even think of. There's very few of us that if we were mashed in a bus crash wouldn't excite a galactic sigh of relief.

It's not that we aren't part of the whole. It's not that our lives are meaningless. It's that we're a very damaging part of the whole, and the meaning of our existence is a negative one. We try to deny that and in that self absorbed process we end up consuming ourselves as well.

And the shame is we have the innate talent--maybe even drive-- to be just the opposite.

Quote    Reply   

#23 [url]

Sep 29 12 10:38 AM

Somewhat tangentially related - my article in the October 48 Degrees North boating magazine.  In any case the photos are of the Buehler Emily, which Justin now owns.

http://www.48north.com/

My story is on page 34.  The area I tell of is somewhat north of the area I would recommend for some sort of 'Sea-steading' experiment.

Quote    Reply   

#24 [url]

Sep 29 12 1:10 PM

There's something about sailing stories that deeply resonates -- even to one such as me, who'd need to think long and hard to discern stern from bow. (Sailing vocabulary is fascinating in itself.) The elemental, terrestrial reality of the situation just conveys such metaphorical richness, in addition to a great tale in itself. As a kid growing up, having had various sailing excursions that bore a strong resemblance to a Jerry Lewis movie (sans Dino), I probably get my fix laying on the couch, sipping some tea -- reading of high seas on my laptop, heh. Then again, it's perhaps like many other gigs -- it's always more enjoyable if tinged with competence.

"...one can not always plan for every eventuality" and
"...no shame in accepting help if available" seemed like good affirmations of human reality.

Thanks for sharing your story. (I've taken the ferry from Bellingham to Juneau and laying on my chaise on the deck before heading down to dine on Halibut seems a distinctly different approach to the trip. Accepting the help of the waiter bringing another glass of Chardonnay just seems different somehow!)

Quote    Reply   

#26 [url]

Nov 4 12 11:31 PM

Hi folks
Thank you so very much for your interest and thoughts on this subject which I posted
I am now clinging to the very real. As I had suspected, I will soon run out of money and this day draws nearer. And so the excitement begins. Unfortunately, I will be selling my Macbook tomorrow for some more float money and will no longer be able to contribute to the sensible/simplicity forum. I hope to go back online next year, and yet I must admit to you all that I am wholly disappointed with the dismissive and largely indulgent roundabout "fuck this early naivety", which was being read here by not only myself but also friends in confidence. That being said, it is a forum open 24 hrs and it is a place unlike reality, where people do tend to care for one another without precedence. I do fault myself for opening up so much to observational ease. It surely is easy for couch sailors to be critical and yet this is not a place where I felt passed off. Quite the opposite. So thank you for your thoughts from the couch, but as any one of you may admit, there comes a time when forums are the devil to authenticity. 
I do keep a blog, so I am not a luddite. I only wish to suggest that a regular circle of thought is nothing I have ever properly taken. I have not done well in team sports, and so a forum (while very helpful) is not something I have enough integrity to maintain. I wish only to politely excuse myself from the important conversation of sensible simplicity. Only because I am a loner and always have been. The debate has never interested me. I was wrong to think that I should become more involved than absolutely necessary. As I write this I can see the sadness. Yet in sadness there is honesty and in this there is liberty.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#27 [url]

Nov 5 12 11:46 AM

"Yet in sadness there is honesty and in this there is liberty."

Well, in honesty there is sadness. Life is just fucking sad sometimes; part of the price of admission, and yet mostly one of those things that mostly remains behind the curtain and not really acknowledged. I might transmute that to: in honesty there is pain (alongside its antipodal twin pleasure).

I don't know any great shakes about your script, if you will, but after 15 years on this terrestrial homesteading project, I think I've come to conclude that:

Good work is basically defined by skirting (tacking?) the line that runs right between pleasure and pain.

The wind always eventually picks up.

Quote    Reply   

#28 [url]

Nov 7 12 9:59 PM

I have my laptop still. Well, at least for another day or two. Thanks for the thoughts islandnotes. I am sad to have to quit this forum. However, I must admit that when it comes to getting things done and maintaining a relatively constant state of personal satisfaction, forums don't figure in. There tends to be enough conflicting ideas, voices of my own imagining, to keep me in check. The addition of a forum is perhaps more suited to the veterans, who have in fact already gotten over their early personal trials and tribulations. I am experiencing a hurdle that I need to jump on my own. Not without the thoughts of others, only less involved with others. That is a subtle change. I'll be back; surely I hope to be anyway.

Justin

Quote    Reply   

#29 [url]

Nov 8 12 7:21 PM

Good luck with your projects. I'd offer as advice for this, or homesteading, or culturally alternative projects of any sorts. . .the key attribute to cultivate is a really thick skin, 'cause everyone is going to try to poke holes in what you're attempting. Some do it because they need to run their mouths, some do it because they're jealous, some do it because they can't understand what you're doing-- some people actually know better and have good advice for you, but they're pretty rare-- still without that thick skin you'll lose the ability to listen to good advice on the rare occasion you hear it and run the risk of making unnecessary, sometimes critical mistakes. Don't listen too much, though, as there's nothing better than the precious joy of discovering things for yourself, without any help at all, and you don't want to rob yourself of that either. . .

Quote    Reply   

#30 [url]

Nov 8 12 10:11 PM

Sort of curious, that term: thick skin.
Maybe more curious yet, to cultivate such a thing through an act of will.
To be sure, I thought of that term when I was a member of the local subdivision board. Interestingly, in that instance, it wasn't so much like: perseverance -- as one might interpret such a euphemism -- but rather more akin to the callousness that such a term might mean. And in my personal familial tribulations, it has felt more like the accumulation of scar-tissue.
Anyway, just riffing on an interesting term. Nonetheless, I think you are right in the fact that it is only acquired through personal experience. Which might boil down to: Imagine what you want to do, then go do it (maybe preferably among others who like to do the same sort of thing).
Then you got yer Billy Blake line that goes: "a fool who persists in his folly will become wise"

Thick skin.

One of the entropic phenoms. of...gaining chronological...experience is that the damn skin insists on growing thin (literally speaking). So I just figured this was a pregnant moment to explore thick skin.
In closing, I'd like to offer a nugget of advice that I once heard:

"Never buy a hat through the mail-order."

(For a sailor, you can only imagine this to be even more trenchant advice.)

word.

Quote    Reply   

#31 [url]

Nov 9 12 5:14 AM

Churchill, who knew something about thick skin, said....

Success is the ability to from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.

Somehow seems appropriate.

Quote    Reply   

#32 [url]

Nov 9 12 7:28 AM

"The things that make us happy make us wise." John Crowley

"Bugger the naysayers."  Me.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help