Remove this ad

Lead

Nov 19 11 4:08 PM

Tags : :

I know we have discussed this before but thought I would 
throw it out there again. I just finished feeding 50 pounds of brown rice to the chickens.
They really loved it since it had lots of protein crawling around in it.

I put the bag in a mylar bag and then into the freezer for about a week and still
I had bugs, lots of bugs in my rice.

Has anyone found a way to avoid this ?

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

Nov 20 11 2:07 AM

I've heard you can put the rice/beans/flour into a 5 gallon bucket with a tight fitting lid and drop a chunk of dry ice into it and seal the lid.  The gas from the dry ice drives out the oxygen and kills the insects.  It doesn't get the insects out of your food, though, it just makes them dead without poisoning your food.  You still get the "extra protein" in your diet.

I suspect one of the major reasons folks used to sift their flour was to keep excess "protein" out of it and not for lumps like many of the recipes claim.

Probably heat would do a better job of killing the insects than cold, many bugs can withstand freezing.  Try dry roasting the rice in a large cake pan in the oven at about 200 degrees or so for half an hour.  That should kill off the bugs and not over-roast the rice.  If there's still bugs, go for 250 degrees.

If the bugs are a significant difference in size between bug and rice, you'd be able to sift them apart.  If there is a significant difference in weight between bug and rice, you can "winnow" them out.  That's dropping the rice from one pan to another in front of a strong fan.  The heavier item falls and the lighter stuff blows to the side.  Set up the catch pans according to which part you want to save.

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

Nov 20 11 2:37 PM

Interesting. My internal "rice expert" (Japanese wife) said it's not only the bugs, but the eggs they lay in the rice. She also says it's a good idea to remove rice from the bag right away and store in a sealed container. Some Japanese put garlic or even red peppers in with it, but neem leaves make perfect sense.

Some Japanese pre-wash the rice, let it dry before putting in said container (or ziplock bag). She also says it's best stored in a cool, dark place. The fridge works in this case

Also, before cooking the rice we always wash it thoroughly. Once it's cooked (bugs, eggs and all), it's still edible.

A superior man is modest in his speech, but exceeds in his actions - Confucius

Quote    Reply   

#5 [url]

Nov 25 11 12:31 PM

My method: 
1. presume all grains have bugs when purchased
2. freeze grain product (rice, flour etc.) for at least 2 days to kill said bugs
3. Seal grain product in mason jar with good lid, good seal. Make sure seal and lip of jar are clean, dry, with no, say, flour dust at all. 

Without freezing any bugs or eggs will grow and flourish in sealed jar. Without seal if any bugs are present in pantry (they are!) they will invade.

I have been able to keep grain products this way for years, long past any good-by date. Not only does this keep bugs out but keeps grain from going rancid. 

You can freeze the grain in the jar but that makes the glass harder to clean. 

I have tried many many ways and this works. I used to use bay leaves and this seems to help, but is not necessary with this method.

Quote    Reply   

#6 [url]

Nov 25 11 12:43 PM

Agreed, you have to freeze grains before long term storage to kill bugs and eggs. Mason jars are too small for my needs, however, so I use larger sealing containers. For daily staples like brown rice and beans and flour I use food service grade storage containers with locking lids in 1 - 4 qt. sizes. For bulk storage, I use 5 gallon pails with Gamma lids. I've never lost any food to insects or rodents since adopting this system.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#7 [url]

Dec 20 11 11:44 AM

I freeze the grain for 3 days then but in a vacuum bag and seal and put in a 5 gal bucket with a gamma lid. Don't vacuum first or the bag will pop in the freezer I don't know why but so far all poped.This will keep a long time with no bugs. I keep one bag out for weekly use but bag the rest.

Bill

Quote    Reply   

#9 [url]

Mar 2 12 1:11 PM

A gamma lid is for a 5 gal bucket that has a seal and screws on. Some times you can get a good buy on the net if you don't care about the color. The cost runs $5 and up.
They do have other names.

Bill

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help