Remove this ad

Lead

Nov 15 11 2:43 PM

Tags : :

Have you heard the buzz?

Interesting concept and look:

http://inhabitat.com/philips-unveils-sexy-concept-bee-keeping-gadget/

To me this slick notion seems more like a way to sell widgets than a viable beehive design, long term, just looking at the photos -but maybe I am just not beeing very open-minded. What do you think? Has anyone here tried this gadget or heard of any experiences actually using it?

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

Nov 15 11 8:44 PM

Sorry, but that is an incredibly lame concept.  All (?) states require that the combs of honey/bees be removable for inspection for disease control. How in the world do you start it in the first place? I can not think of any way that pulling a cord would harvest honey. Etc., etc.
Allen
beekeeper and researcher for 45+ years

Quote    Reply   

#2 [url]

Nov 16 11 12:29 AM

You think the concept itself is lame? Really? As I see it the concept is to have an aesthetically appealing, neat & tidy, inside-workings-viewable hive mounted through a window space in an urban environment. Honey on tap, even. Sweet! As a concept this seems pretty nifty.

The widget pictured, though, via which this concept is supposedly to be achieved, now that does seem lacking in all sorts of ways. So much so that I wonder if this is a spoof of some sort. If it is not a spoof then I wonder how many former childhood owners of Ant Farms will buy these Danish Modern style urban beehives without thinking it through and then how many lawsuits will result when it all go terribly awry.
Messy and stinky at the least, I'd think, with stings galore possible.

Facts are stubborn things and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. JA

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

Nov 16 11 9:55 AM

Bees on the Big Island have been hit with all the current problems 
existing in mainland bees. We are losing bees . The best thing any of us can do for them is to plant lots of flowering plants that feed them. I have found  one of the best in my garden is Thai basil.
The bees love it and they are nice enough to pollinate my other vegetables 
while pigging out on the basil.

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

Nov 16 11 12:34 PM

Do you grow Thai basil from seed or cuttings?

The bees here seem to like the little yellow flowers on peanut grass (Arachis pintoi). Though a slow process, I am trying to shift the ground cover at my place away from noxious weeds into nitrogen-fixing peanut grass. It grows well here either from seed (available from Susan at Kulau Seed on Oahu) or from cuttings.

Facts are stubborn things and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. JA

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#5 [url]

Nov 16 11 3:04 PM

Well, considering the folks with the weird observation hive labelled it "sexy" one also wonders how else their database is screwed.  I don't see it as a viable option to keeping bees, especially considering they seem to think pulling a string at the bottom of the hive is going to provide them with honey.  Debris and dead bee mites, perhaps.  It would be interesting to see the results if someone actually tried it.

Helping bees is best done by giving them a good habitat as Buffers mentioned.  Plant things with flowers so bees will have a nectar source.  A water source is also good for them, so perhaps a pond with fish in it to eat mosquito larvae might also help the bees.

Other than the hive being odd, the rest of that website was interesting.  Not all that viable in many of the cases, but at least they are thinking outside the box.

Quote    Reply   

#7 [url]

Nov 17 11 2:23 PM

Seems I have read of hives with a glass pane in the side and even ones mounted like an air conditioner through the window.  As I recall these hives were still conventional hives with removable frames.  I am a total amateur but I still know about the necessity of removable frames for inspection, and whatever I have read in the past about hives modified for observation didn't raise those flags.

I always wondered about the wildlife shows where they hollowed out the side of a tree opposite a woodpecker's nest and shot film of the birds.  Weren't the birds deterred by the bright lights?  What about bees?  Do they interpret light as a crack in the hive and seal it up with bee-glue (propolis)?  The observation hives I have read about had a hinged cover over the glass.  You only opened it when you were actively looking.

Top bar hives get a lot of play on the internet since they are easier to build than Langstroth hives.  I must qualify that though.  They are easier to build from scratch with scavenged materials which is what happens in developing countries.  In our modern industrial society it would be simpler and more likely to result in an acceptable end product to buy a mail order kit of pre-cut wood parts and assemble them into a mainstream Langstroth hive.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help