Remove this ad

Lead

Sep 11 11 10:43 AM

Tags : :

Four foods that will hurt your wallet this year..

http://financiallyfit.yahoo.com/finance/article-113449-10939-1-4-rising-food-costs-that-will-hurt-your-wallet?ywaad=ad0035&nc

Any suggestions for local foods to replace those going up in price ?

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#4 [url]

Sep 13 11 10:31 AM

It takes son time but price comoarrison shopping in hilo can help strech food budget. Just be careful not to get lured by the sweet and salty impulse buys!

Quote    Reply   

#5 [url]

Sep 13 11 11:51 AM

My uncle in the mid-West sends a weekly crop report.  Apparently this year unless the crops are irrigated, they aren't getting much production from them at all.  A lot of the milo isn't being harvested because it didn't produce.  He also mentioned a corn field on a "deep well" as doing okay but it seems some of the shallow wells either aren't producing as much or not at all.  They track the moisture by tenths of an inch and there hasn't been much and the temperatures have been astronomical.

There should be some seeds in the mail today, so perhaps later today I'll be planting scarlet runner beans along the fence lines.  They should be pretty as well as have some lovely beans to eat.  I think instead of a traditional garden, we will be doing a lot of edible landscaping here since the yard is smaller.

There are always the lima - cousin to the kudzu - beans.  Technically, the ones I planted awhile back were a "Christmas Lima" since the beans are large white beans with big red splotches on them, but this plant made huge long vines that tried to eat the shed.  They produce, though.  Four individual beans produced over a five gallon bucket of limas.  However, you then gotta find folks who want to eat lima beans.  The festive red splotches turned gray-green to match the rest of the cooked lima bean.  They were a bit tough, too, although the flavor was okay.  I may try a different variety of lima bean since once they are established, they just keep producing for several years.

For stretching the food budget, we've gone away from the main-stream retail outlets.  The Filipino vegetable and bakery stores have great deals on produce.  Not as much selection, but inexpensive on what they do have.  Buying directly from the folks who produce it gets a better product although not always a less expensive product, especially when buying things such as meats.  Although, it is a lot less expensive than the same high-end meat would be at the grocery so I guess we are eating better at the same cost.  We also buy in bulk and in the food co-op and pretty much only buy stuff that is on sale.  It is a rare thing that we go out to shop with a shopping list of specific ingredients.  It is also a rare thing that we purchase already prepared and ready to eat food.

Quote    Reply   

#6 [url]

Sep 18 11 10:36 AM

At kta last night shopping for great ahi, I saw American tourists flinching at the price of food here in Hawaii. ( I gave them some tips.) sometimes I think it is an advantage to be here to experience price and scarcity during trial runs, rather than when it may really count.

Quote    Reply   

#7 [url]

Sep 18 11 1:05 PM

I have noticed KTA prices on everything creeping up. It is my favorite grocery store here
but I am shopping there less . Farmers markets, meat markets, Costco and my backyard
are getting more of my business. Oh and the wonderful little  mom and pop stores
often have produce cheaper than even the Farmers Markets.

Shipping prices continue to go up every 6 months to a year so we are all 
slowly being forced to eat more local foods.  That is good in the long run but 
painful now in our transition to sustainability.

Quote    Reply   

#8 [url]

Sep 19 11 5:37 PM

They say WWII "Victory Gardens" provided 40% of the vegetables eaten during that time.  No reason as to why we can't do the same.  So, if prices increase 40% but we are buying 40% less of something, it should aughta even out don'tcha think?

Lately I've been seeing folks upset about the amount of taxation in the United States.  Lowering taxes would increase the amount available to be spent on supplies, but what with the "g'bment being brokass" I don't see that happening anytime soon.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#10 [url]

Sep 19 11 8:54 PM

Chooks, I was a kid in Michigan during WWII . We had a victory garden, rented out rooms, and
dad worked in a steel mill. 
The food was being rationed and sent to the troops. No cars for sale because the 
car plants were busy making war machinery. No tires for the all ready existing cars.
We walked and occasionally rode a bus.

The victory garden fed us a lot but my uncle and aunt who
lived in the country gave us a lot of produce that my mother canned.
Family and networking were important .

Learning to fish here should be required in grade school.

Quote    Reply   

#11 [url]

Oct 11 11 2:41 AM

So what are you going to do about the food inflation?  Well, starting a garden sounds like a great idea.  I grew up in New York City.  I was never taught how to plant a garden in my entire life.  We must learn how to become self reliant again.  We must start to become workers and produce on our land again.

Start buying and saving as much food as you can.  Please choose foods that you will actually enjoy eating.  Foods that you are very familiar with and that are nutritious.  You don't want to kill yourself eating something that is unhealthy everyday.  Choose healthy foods and store them. 

I am really passionate about people not only storing foods, but storing the right types of foods for them and their families.  We will get out of this economic hole that we are in at the moment but it might not happen right away. So, in the meantime, start storing food and protect yourself from Food inflation.

Quote    Reply   

#13 [url]

Oct 11 11 10:39 AM

Some of the main land plants just will not grow potatoes and onions for two. But sweet potatoes grow great and the white one taste like main land ones. Depending on where you live you may need a green house with shade cloth around it. I am in low HPP and if I put out seed the rain destroys them so I start in a green house and then put out. Some veg's stay in the green house to keep the bugs away.

Bill

Quote    Reply   

#14 [url]

Oct 11 11 11:05 AM

Yes, welcome to the new members!

As Buffy says, the best way to store foods here in the tropics are live on the plant or on the foot-- its tough to keep weevils out of stuff if stored for very long.

Quote    Reply   

#15 [url]

Oct 11 11 11:34 AM

Yes. Welcome. I'm maybe as passionate about people befriending one another -- finding their commonality -- realizing that in tough times, our ability to organize, work, cooperate; in solidarity, is going to trump our individual ability to accumulate stashes.

Quote    Reply   

#16 [url]

Oct 12 11 8:58 AM

I totally agree about using more local foods as both a cost-effective measure and as practice for when off-island food is less available. I have been trying to incorporate more bananas, sweet potato greens, winged beans, moringa, etc, (as well a fresh garden veggies) into meals more and more. We have yet to make a meal with ingredients only from our property, but we have made many meals with ingredients that *could* and *will* be from our property.

Right now, I'm completely in love with breadfruit. (I'm probably preaching to the choir here.) It can be the base of so many meals. We made tamales with breadfruit shells instead of corn - just fill them with any veggies from the garden and wrap in banana leaves. Delicious! And filling. It similarly can be cooked like polenta in an approximation of a pizza. Also - it turns into scrumptious little potato-dumpling-like-nuggets in soup and like baked tofu when stir-fried. The Ma'afala breadfruit trees supposedly produce 9 months out of the year, and produced 12 months for someone in Capt Cook.

Additionally, I would love to see more restaurants or even farmer's market vendors use local ingredients. When I was a "visitor," I would have loved to try breadfruit anything or taro anything. And I think residents would take inspiration from the recipes and perhaps make more local ingredient foods at home - after discovering how delicious and versatile they are. For example, a vendor at SPACE market makes a great hummus-like spread made from jackfruit seeds - makes me want to get a jackfruit tree!

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help