Lead

Jul 28 11 11:04 AM

Tags : :

Avocado season is starting up and the first ones of the
season are delicious. Avocado sandwiches, guacamole, sliced 
with lemon juice over them. What else ? They are so 
buttery and good.

The variety I have in my backyard are the huge  ones that turn 
purple or black and are smooth in texture......no strings or fiber inside.

Chooks has a little round avocado in her yard that has fruit in the off season of the winter.
It doesn't taste as good as my wild one, but in the winter when no one else has avocados,
it is nice for guacamole. I  am planting one in my backyard.

Any other good varieties out there ?

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#2 [url]

Jul 28 11 2:08 PM

I have in the past, when we had a farm, bought trees from a nursery
and planted them and watched them die. The ones I planted 
from seed are still there growing. I have found in Hawaii that the best way to decide 
what one to plant in your yard  is to find one to eat that you Really like and plant the seed.
They sprout in about a month  in a well watered pot. Then I put them out where I want them to live forever.
Water  them and let the chickens do the rest. 

Most of the good ones have a thin skin and cannot be shipped off island. Unless you have a local
buyer only plant what you and your neighborhood can eat.

I harvested 250  pounds off of one limb that broke off the tree last year. 

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

Jul 28 11 11:51 PM

Season is early here in Hamakua compared to the last couple years especially the fall/winter varieties. Kona side seems normal. Read this article way back on best tasting cultivars in Hawaii and planted all the top chef picks plus several others that I thought were great. All produce outstanding fruit and all have interesting and subtle flavor differences. That grafting demo at Maku'u market a couple months back was fantastic, so now I'm always looking to find another good variety to graft. There's a tree in Kalopa State park dropping large round fruit and they are super ono. Just waiting for the branches to show buds so I can cut and graft. You might be interested in this one Buffy since it's not too far from your place.

Planting from seed isn't a good idea since there is a chance the fruit cross-pollinated with another variety  and the offspring is unlikely to resemble the parent cultivar in fruit quality. Plus, an avocado grown from seed takes about 4 years or more to bear fruit while a grafted one will take 2 years. Grafting is the best way to insure you get what you want.

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

Jul 29 11 10:03 AM

Most of the grafted avo trees I've seen have been in the $40 range which seems rather much for a tree that you can graft yourself.  Plant a seed and get rootstock as well as the possibility of a good variety.  I mean, all these varieties had to come from somewhere and in my world, I figure there's about the same amount of chance that it will be a good variety as a bad variety.  Putting a seed out to grow is a lot easier than planting a whole tree or just letting a volunteer grow if you have room for it.  Anyway, let the seed sprout, graft on a couple of good varieties and trim it so the limbs stay low enough to harvest easily.  The grafted branches should start giving before the original ones, but that's okay.  If the original variety is no good, then trim those out and add in more grafts.  There are a lot of different ways to manage trees.

Has anyone discovered any way to preserve avocados other than as frozen guacamole?  The texture changes after it's frozen and it isn't anywhere near as nice as fresh.

Quote    Reply   

#6 [url]

Jul 29 11 7:48 PM

I haven't seen multiple grafts on an avocado tree. The demo at Makuu market  
a few months ago was done by a very experienced grafter. She only does
grafts to root stock. That is also what the nurseries are selling. 

Opae , I will have to go check out that avocado in Kalopa  Park. I never met an
avocado I didn't love.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#8 [url]

Sep 11 12 10:03 PM

I grafted a few they are not producing yet but are growing. I planed 3 seeds about 4 years ago and I have a lot of great ones this year. The tree is about 25 foot high and 8" at the base. 2 more of my seed had avocados but dropped off. I now have 7 plants and may be up to my eyes next year. I also have about 30 seed starts if any one wants any.

Bill

Quote    Reply   

#9 [url]

Sep 12 12 12:14 AM

I've liberally set-out plantings of various seedling avos, and really hadn't seen much flowering, let alone fruiting. The grafted Sharwil-variety has stepped right up into fruiting. I'd be interested in planting any other varieties that produce well up here at 1800' with copious rain. Perhaps I should get my exacto-knife out and try and propagate said Sharwil scions onto the seedling root stock.
Any suggestions?

Quote    Reply   

#10 [url]

Sep 12 12 12:36 AM

Darren , look around your neighborhood and see if anyone has a good
avocado tree at your elevation. Get some seeds and /or cuttings and
grow some . 

Probably the ones from this area would not do as well 
in your neighborhood.

Sharwil hasn't done very well for me.

Bill , sounds like you have become the "Johnny Appleseed "
of the avocados !

Quote    Reply   

#12 [url]

Sep 12 12 6:23 PM

I'm going to splice ryerros tip with buffychick's advice!
Actually, I'd bank on (mere)seedlings below a productive tree in this locale, 'cause I figure it was pollinated by one capable of flowering. Maybe significantly, I went out of my way to plant the (grafted)Sharwil in a place fully immune to "wet feet" (i.e. a pile of drain gravel, in which it has thrived).
Mahalo.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help