Remove this ad

Lead

Mar 27 11 11:14 PM

Tags : :

The open D tuning has been termed Sevastopol tuning and is lots of fun. For that matter, an open E is the same thing, up a note. Derek Trucks does beautiful things with that one.

Also, to drop that F# to the minor 3rd: F, makes for a nice D minor open tuning.

I had the pleasure to see the masterful Bob Brozman play up there at the KMC theater. He used all those, and threw in some other things too, heh.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

Mar 28 11 4:33 AM

Yup. I haven't seen Bob Brozman live, yet, but over the winter I've seen Makana, Jeff Peterson and Hapa at KMC;  John Keawe and Kuahiwis at the Volcano Park Visitor Center; Sonny Lim (and Jeff Peterson and Nathan Aweau again) at Waimea; Keoki Kahumoku at Pahoa; and Robert Tripp Jr. and Cyril Pahinui at Hilo. So lots of open tunings. 

Been learning from Cyril, who plays in Gabby's C tuning... C G E G C E ... and when the high C is lowered to B, it's called Gabby's C Wahine or Hi'ilawe. 

The name Sebastopol (or Sevastopol) for Open D or Open C or Open E (because the intervals are associated with a tune called Sebastopol Blues) tends to be used more by bottleneck blues players than slack-key, in my experience. Keith Richards of The Rolling Stones plays a Sebastopol E tuning on many songs, often with just 5 strings. And the intervals of Open G or Open A are sometime called Spanish Tuning.

So many tunings, so little time... :)     

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help