Remove this ad

#61 [url]

Mar 4 12 10:58 PM

It's just a matter of amperage. I don't know, but I doubt they'd pass any kind of inspection, as the issue is that you can't be plugging ac stuff into dc-- as well as you probably have no familial relation to the installer.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#62 [url]

Mar 5 12 5:11 PM

Chooks,

Most major appliances list their yearly wattage in Kw per year.   The highest efficiency fridge sears sells is around 330Kw.  If you can get a fridge that is around 1Kw per day your doing great!

As for the Hot Tub, yep.  The 220 is to HEAT the Water.  I think it has two different circuits.  The pumps are probably running on 120.  The only way to heat water is passive solar.  You could run your hot water heater off of solar off of PV but it would cost more than it's worth.  Passive is cheaper and you get twice the efficiency vs PV.

Bill,

Yep, the balancing act is the greatest hurdle on the top loader freezer fridge.  Because, as soon as the food at the top wants to be in the low 30's, all the cold is still freezing in the bottom and you can't just move around that cold.  So you get a big chunk of solid ice all the time in the bottom half of the fridge.   I was just thinking if you had computer fans that cycled to circulate the cold from the bottom, maybe you could possible maintain the temps.  The only other way I've heard is people putting gallon jugs of water at the bottom.  They say it kinda regulates the temps and you don't have to turn on the compressor all that much since well, it's kinda like putting bricks in an oven.  The bricks maintain the EVEN heat so that your not having a big jump when the coils in the oven turn on. Don't wanna burn the Pizza!

I'll probably end up just buying a 500 dollar fridge that has an ice maker in it that get's around less then 350Kw's a year.   I'd like to try the DIY .01 Freezer/fridge out some day but when I get it down to how I want to use it, then maybe I'd trade it in, but not having an ice maker is kind of a deal breaker  for me.

Quote    Reply   

#63 [url]

Mar 6 12 12:10 PM

The only way to heat water is passive solar.  

-ericlp

I'm still fond of the woodburning Snorkel Hot Tubs from Seattle. No electricty required. They use an underwater firebox to heat the water, and a canoe paddle to circulate the water. And they each come with a stylish yellow rubber duckie. :)

Quote    Reply   

#64 [url]

Mar 6 12 8:04 PM

I've used those also, and they do work well.

Out of curiosity, has anyone else considered thermocouple arrays for electricity? They are price competitive with solar for sure, and a real on demand power for those with biomass.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#66 [url]

Mar 7 12 3:35 PM

I'm still fond of the woodburning Snorkel Hot Tubs from Seattle. No electricty required. They use an underwater firebox to heat the water, and a canoe paddle to circulate the water. And they each come with a stylish yellow rubber duckie. :)

-opend

Well, what I should have typed was the only way to heat water with the sun is Passive.  :)  There are plenty of ways to heat water...    Got a match and a 5 gallon gas can?  Pretty much what HELCO is doing.

The romans have been using wood fired pools/tubs ever since aqueducts have been invented.

Quote    Reply   

#67 [url]

Mar 7 12 10:24 PM

So far we haven't seen the electric bill since the tub was installed.  When that shows up, there will be changed made, no doubt, but it is always good to have a baseline to start from.  I think there's three big solar water heating panels at the other house yet to move over here.  We still haven't had the photovoltaic panels shifted yet, either.  If the electric bill gets completely whacko (which it should from the hot tub) then we will shift PV panels and install water heating panels.

In the meantime, it's a lovely hot tub.  Loads of bubbly jets, underwater lights, etc. etc., although we don't have a rubber ducky yet!

Quote    Reply   

#68 [url]

Mar 8 12 8:56 PM

That's the same thing that is used the cool boxes that can heat or cool. They are not great and the differance between hot and cold is about 30F. I have aa few to play with but stopped because they did not work very good 1.2 volts per unit at 1 Amp at best. You have to cool as well as heat or you can put in 1.2 volt and heat one side and cool the other. I would have go back to my notes but I think it was called the Petie affect. A long time ago they up them around a gas lamp and got some voltage for a radio. Not in the same ball park as solar.

Bill

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help