Remove this ad

Lead

Jan 27 11 11:38 AM

Tags : :

Aloha Forum Folk!

It occurred to me that there are a lot of plants growing around each of our houses that we have a lot of and would be willing to give some away if folks wanted some starts, cuttings, seeds or seedlings.  I can look around my yard and see different things which were started from cuttings and such so in the effort to give forward it seems worthwhile to see if the folks here need some.

Around here there are generally sprouty coconuts if anyone needs a few.  There's also night blooming jasmine which starts easily from cuttings and smells wonderful when it blooms at night.  I've also got more Spanish moss than I know what to do with, although that stuff is almost invasive.  Also rosemary and several different oreganos which start easily from cuttings, too.  I'm sure there's more, that's just what I can easily think of sitting here in front of a keyboard drinking the first coffee of the day.

A list of what you are looking for and a list of what you have to give away as well as a note of where you are - more or less - would be helpful if folks are interested in getting new plants for their yards.

Have:

• sprouty coconuts
  • night blooming jasmine
  • rosemary
  • oregano
  • pigeon pea
  • spanish moss
  • Filipino wine grape (Concord type)
  • assorted bromeliads

Looking for or could use more of:

• cotton, especially the green or brown varieties, I have some of the white
  • more ti cuttings, especially the big green ones since the rabbits like to eat them and I should plant a bigger patch of them for rabbit forage.

Located out near Laupahoehoe so I'm not really on very many people's daily path.

The other nice thing about giving away plants is if something happens to the ones in your yard, there will be a "reservoir" of plants outside the disaster zone to get new starts again.  I've lost cultivars to a variety of different things and been able to go get them back again from the folks who had copies.  

It is also good local manners to bring something when getting something, too, although one should give and bring from abundance.  If I have a yard full of sprouty coconuts and someone else has a yard full of avocados, if they give me avocados and I give them coconuts everyone comes out ahead and there is joy and abundance everywhere.  Abundance for abundance and everyone comes out ahead.  

This is noted just because occasionally new folks don't know about the accustomed procedures for "giving things away" around here and when there is only a one way street on the giving of things away then folks quit giving things away because they don't feel appreciated.  I suspect this is also another reason why newbies aren't always immediately accepted into groups on the island since I've noticed it among other groups on the island.  There will be a gathering of local folks and everyone will bring something - usually food - except for the newbies who sometimes don't notice this and keep returning for all the "free" food.  Usually something happens so they aren't invited back any more and then they get all huhu about some sort of "racism" or some such nonsense where as it's just a clash of culture.  Just because something is given away doesn't mean it doesn't have value, so if you have nothing else just be appreciative and that will go along way towards making the person giving the things away feel good, too.  I suspect as folks get away from using money as the basis of exchange, they will become more aware of how much gratitude and thanks are worth.  Just IMHO.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

Jan 27 11 11:46 AM

One thing worth considering also if one lives in some of the more "feral" areas is to plant some bee fodder, as in the native forest for much of the year there's little to nothing in bloom and pollinators are rare. It's taken a couple of years to build the bee population back up. Having a variety of hibiscus that bloom all season long, chayote(excellent bee fodder) and poha berries are great "guild" of plants that insure the bees aren't hungry or stressed. I have loads of cuttings of all of those. It's made a world of difference here in the success of tomatoes and squashes. Even the benefit to the coffee is noticeable.

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

Jan 27 11 7:50 PM

I find the bees here love Thai basil  flowers . I also have butterfly bush flowers blooming near the garden
The Mamaki bush attracts the Kamehameha butterfly who does a little pollinating.
I also have citrus and cherry trees near the garden. A huge avocado, mango and mountain apple nearby attract lots of bees, also.  

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

Jan 27 11 8:17 PM

Hi Ryan, of course sweet potatoes and taro is a classic one. All the canoe plants seem to work together. I find bananas more important all the time. You don't need to like bananas necessarily-- view them as "compost trees" that without a doubt will capture the last of the nutrient runoff. Whack them down for mulch if they get out of control.

Quote    Reply   

#5 [url]

Jan 27 11 9:13 PM

Thanks Jay, Buffy, the bees are crazy for Stevia too I've noticed.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#7 [url]

Feb 25 11 9:22 AM

While starting some seeds for our garden, I found myself wondering if I should be starting extras to bring to Pirate events. The problem is, I'm too new to know what people might like. Can you folks give me a clue if there is anything particularly wanted or not wanted?

I'm currently starting:

red dragonfruit
purple dragonfruit
cape gooseberry (Incan berry)
miracle berry
cacao
feijoa

Any of those sound like they might be appreciated? What sorts of things are people on the look-out for?

Mahalo!

.raven..

Quote    Reply   

#9 [url]

Feb 25 11 10:49 PM

for sure on the purple dragonfruid and miracle berry... what is feijoa?  

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help