Remove this ad

Lead

Dec 31 10 11:42 PM

Tags : :

"Scientists have known certain foods like sugar and salt can be stored indefinitely, but wanted to learn the shelf life of other food like dried apples -- stored since 1973..."
http://www.sciencedaily.com/videos/2007/0208-keeping_food_for_years.htm

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

Jan 1 11 9:37 AM

If the ship hits the sand, I will eat what iIhave stored but I don't have any 1973 spam. I may also get sick and tired of sweet potatoes and bananas.

Bill

Quote    Reply   

#2 [url]

Jan 16 11 12:00 AM

Which type of booze would 'yal suggest for preserving sweet limes in a jar? Everclear is almost pure ethanol and fairly inexpensive, so it would probably be the best choice for killing everything in the jar and for economy. Would less potent (and less vile) ethanol solutions --vodka, brandy, wine-- work to preserve uncooked sweet limes, do you think?

I am trying an initial food preservation experiment with fresh sweet limes, packing five batches. One each in:
100% salt,
50% salt & 50% brown sugar,
100% brown sugar,
100% Karo syrup, and
100% ethanol solution of some sort (suggestions welcome).

Actually it is just a trial or plain old monkeying around, since there are not enough replicate batches for each type of treatment to be statistically reliable. They are going into one gallon jars, mainly, with one 2 gallon and maybe a few quarts if I have enough materials left over from the 1 gallon runs to tinker further.  If any of these turn out well then I'll follow up with more testing on the more promising outcomes next year, adding spices and suchlike to see what happens to the flavor and preservation.

My theory is the osmolarity of the pure salt and sugar/syrup solutions will prevent microbial growth, while the ethanol should just simply kill everything in there. We'll see, if there are still enough decent sweet limes on the trees tomorrow when I go to pop everything into jars and seal them (it is getting very late in their season).

Facts are stubborn things; whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. JA

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

Jan 16 11 10:36 AM

Salt is what local folks usually use for that sort of thing.  I'm not sure if there's sugar in there, too, or not.  When you see big jars lined up on folks' flat carport roofs, that's usually pickle lemon, pickle lime, plum mui or kim chee.  None of which have any alcohol in them.  I'll ask my friend what his recipe is, we got a big jar of pickle lemon sitting here that he made.  It's great for colds and coughs as well as a tasty snack.

Buffers is good with making things with vodka.  She does something with lemons and vodka and makes a chilled drink which is really tasty.  Knock your socks off (should you be wearing any) but tasty.  How about putting them up in quarts instead of gallon jars and trying it with different types of booze?  You'd get different flavors depending on what alcohol you put behind it.  Rum might be tasty.

Can you find Karo syrup that doesn't have high fructose corn syrup in it?

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

Jan 16 11 11:45 AM

We used to have a farm that had lots of Myers lemons . When they were very plentiful
I  squeeze and froze the juice.What I made withthe  lemon peel is called  limoncello. It is an imitation of the
real limencello.

I used lemon peel and vodka  and let it marinade for a few weeks then add a simple 
syrup. Then strain it and freeze it for a slushy type drink ...... in very small glasses.

You could do something like that with your limes.

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help