Remove this ad

Lead

Apr 22 10 8:50 PM

Tags : :

How many of you grow this? It's a little touchy but when it's in it's groove is a huge producer. What a plant! Medicinal and nutritious-- that was dinner tonight for me. Anybody need any? I'm for sure in its zone and it grows here crazy like, but it's incorporated into my diet more and more all the time. Who else is growing the plant?

Recipes? Cut it up and eat it with ranch dressing. That's about all you need know. It's good in most everything. I was under an erroneous assumption a few months ago that you must peel it(not true) and cook it( not true) to eat it. Chop it up, soak it in lime juice and eat it.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#4 [url]

Apr 22 10 11:43 PM

The chayote you gave me is climbing my fence. In fact I've been watching it very closely and can see growth on a day to day basis. Amazing. I'd love to grow a few more.

I can see slicing it up and putting it in stir fry.

A superior man is modest in his speech, but exceeds in his actions - Confucius

Quote    Reply   

#5 [url]

Apr 23 10 2:06 AM

There is more than half an acre of chayote by my land, and several other infestations in the neighborhood. It grows like kudzu.  I regularly try to whack it back, harvesting armloads of vines/leaves for my chickens (who were trained to eat the leaves from a young age - ref: http://washedashore.com/eggsntea/2009/06/train-your-baby-chicks-to-devour-a-variety-of-leafy-greens/ ).  In drier years it recedes and the Desmodium takes over.  Right now it's been raining for 1.5 years and the Chayote has re-emerged to cover everything.
The squash fruits are, IMHO, largely useless.  Flavorless, few calories, mostly just fiber and water.  They could help fill your belly if you're hungry, but not sustain you.  Must be cooked for a long time in some flavorful liquid before they take on any flavor.  I did multiple experiments to try to feed them to my chickens with no success unless i both chopped and cooked the squashes.
The potential for chayote as food, IMHO, is to harvest all the growing tips and use them like pea shoots.  Should be good.  I've never been motivated enough to go harvest enough tips, though.

Quote    Reply   

#6 [url]

Apr 23 10 8:13 AM

The growing tips are great stir-fried.  I stir-fried them with carrots and separately stir-fried some meat with flavorings and combined them in single serving containers for my brown bag lunches.

They are fast and easy to harvest, since you just break off the tender tips (if they will not break easily you are too far from the tip and they will be tough/stringy), cut them into manageable pieces, and stir-fry them, tendrils and all.

Quote    Reply   

#8 [url]

Apr 23 10 11:22 AM

Mine grow like gangbusters in full sun in Louisiana.  Like Jay says, they can be iffy to start, so I usually plant 3 or 4 fruits (big end down, small end exposed) where I want one.  I also let them get started a little (the seed pushes out and a sprout starts) before I plant them.  Since you are mainly after the leaves, they also should do fine in some shade.

Just do not plant them on or near a tree you want, since they will smother it and they are heavy vines.

Quote    Reply   

#9 [url]

Apr 23 10 11:36 AM

Here's what I found after a quick google search:

"...Besides being high in vitamin C, the chayote is low in calories (50 calories per one medium chayote of approximately 203 grams), low in sodium, contains no cholesterol, and is a good source of fiber. The chayote is also versatile to cook with because it can be eaten raw, used in salads, or it can be fried, baked, broiled, sautéed, steamed, mashed, or microwaved. It can also be used as an ingredient in soups and stews."

A superior man is modest in his speech, but exceeds in his actions - Confucius

Quote    Reply   

#10 [url]

Apr 23 10 11:36 AM

Well, then, perhaps picking them up off the side of the highway might be the best way to grow them?  Keeps them from taking over the yard and killing off the trees.  If they get too far out of control, they can be trimmed by Kenney, Mac or Freightliner.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#11 [url]

Apr 23 10 2:39 PM

Chooks, you have lots of jungle across the road from your place . Plant
them over there .

Punafish, they sound a lot like zuchhini.  

I planted an unknown squash last year and it totally took over our
Ham Radio antenna . Produced one huge weird green thing. Tasted a lot like chayote.
I save the seeds but I am looking for a special place to plant it this year.

Quote    Reply   

#13 [url]

May 14 10 10:14 AM

Been working on some Pipinola recipes--Tim gave me the suggestion of a Kim Chee sort of flavor and I've made up(and promptly ate) a whole lot of that. That's a good trick for a good keeping and very versatile product. As a try-- grate up 2 large pipinola, a 1/4 onion, add about a 1/4 cup vinegar and about 2 tablespoons kim chee base, maybe some tabasco or something along those lines if you like it hot. A little salt.  Not fermented, more simply pickled. It keeps well and goes with just about anything. It's really worth a try and very easy.

Quote    Reply   

#14 [url]

Jun 1 10 10:17 PM

I never was very crazy about the chayote fruit but using the growing tips sounds good to me. I know that it also grows well at lower elevations in Puna; I've seen it growing at my friends place near Pahoa.

Quote    Reply   

#15 [url]

Nov 14 11 10:36 AM

After many tries I finally convinced a chayote to grow in my backyard.
Now it is everywhere ! The  vertical antenna wires to my ham radio antenna 
have vines running all down them with dangling white Chayote fruit 
hanging  all along the wires . Guess I could hang some tinsel and
call it holiday decorations.

They are tasty and very handy to cook in all kinds of recipes.

Quote    Reply   

#16 [url]

Nov 14 11 11:38 AM

We certainly use a lot of them and the chickens and ducks eat the rest, which is a lot of feed, really. Between those and bananas one can supplement bird feed pretty significantly.

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help