Remove this ad

#25 [url]

Apr 23 09 2:51 PM

Thanks Ivy for showing me how to post the pics, didn't have to re-size them, either.

My first green peppers ever. Like the tomatoes, all from seedlings--almost felt guilty eaten 'em. I thought the peppers were a tad on the bland side, but Kurumi liked 'em. But this harvest of tomatoes yielded the best I've ever eaten.

Click here to view the attachment

A superior man is modest in his speech, but exceeds in his actions - Confucius

Quote    Reply   

#26 [url]

Apr 23 09 5:26 PM

Wow great yields. {thums up icon, it exists in my mind} Tim was like- how did he grow such big tomatoes?! 
 Our sweet 100 are even cracking, it's so dang wet. 

Beautiful peppers too! Haha and they want you to eat them, that's their impetus for life. Just don't forget to poop the seeds out like a good animal.;)

So how old are the plants, and what's the growing medium? Are you using chemical ferts or all organic? Details!

Puna rain makes me feel rich! soursopstudio.blogspot.com/

Quote    Reply   

#27 [url]

Apr 23 09 7:14 PM

Yup, looks good!

One of the overwhelming advantages we have here as opposed to many other places is the "climatic" diversity. I don't expect I'll ever grow beefsteak types like that up here, but others, and those that ripen at different intervals. Having a new harvest season every 5 miles up the road is worth a huge amount.

Quote    Reply   

#28 [url]

Apr 24 09 4:25 PM

Thanks for all the kind words about my veggies. Not too bad for a city boy from Chicago, eh?

We bought our seeds from UH Manoa (and we're happy to share, btw):

Kaala Bell Pepper (this type pictured above)
Awaha Bulb Onion (seeds were just eaten by a pesky cardinal who lives nearby)
Milo hybrid cucumber (ditto above)
Hirayama Kai Choy (W.R. Resistant)
Kewalo Tomato
Hybrid N-65 Tomato
U.H. Manoa Lettuce
Manoa Wonder Pole Green Bean

Sure wish I could tell you which tomato strain the big beefsteak guy pictured above was...I'm guessing the hybrid N-65 (we mixed strains in the same planter by mistake). The one in the picture was by far the alpha fruit of the litter, I think a co-joined freak of nature...but man, it was delicious.

I'm thinking that I may have picked the green pepper too early, hence the bland taste? But it was starting to get...for lack of a better term, "stretch marks".

Did I grow it organically? Not sure what that means exactly, which means the answer's probably no. But the plastic fertilizer container does say "Organic" so maybe I grew it organically my mistake! :-o Nah.

Can't remember exactly when we planted the seeds...December I think...makes 'em about 4 months old. No special dirt, just cheap potting soil from Walmart mixed in with our homemade compost full of worms and (I assume) lots of worm poop.

Don't have to tell folks here how tough it is to grow tomatoes in the rainy jungle, unless of course you've got the cherry tomato vine type (which we're also growing).

A while back a friend recommended a self-watering planter system that you get on-line, one that happens to come with casters. Casters are the perfect solution for my situation because we just roll our tomatoes into the carport when it rains, and back outside when the sun shines. It's easy to grow tomatoes and the self-watering system is convenient for an absentminded person like myself. My only complaint is it's too damn expensive for the set-up, well over $100 including tax and shipping.

This harvest of potted tomatoes is on its last legs; just harvested three little ones this morning, with a few green stragglers stubbornly hanging on. My unprotected vine type cherries are thriving out in the elements...I believe they are the Kewalo types. They were really going strong, but the birds are starting to eat the ripe ones. Damn! Guess I gotta cover them up...any ideas?

I'll post pictures of my current set-up, my $20 solution along and a few other visuals...after my dead camera gets re-juiced.

Quote    Reply   

#33 [url]

Apr 24 09 9:02 PM

Tim your gardens look fatty!- But they can only get fattier! Yep!

I seen an avo start in with your pikos, Money must have been by.

pic 1, My piko starts from Jay and keiki fruit trees
pic 2, Blueberries! {Walmart}
pic 3, Summer veggie garden, featuring sweet 100 tomato gone wild!
pic 4, Money on her way to Tim's house. 

Puna rain makes me feel rich! soursopstudio.blogspot.com/

Quote    Reply   

#38 [url]

Apr 25 09 5:58 PM

Thanks for replyin' BC :-)

It's possible that we gave them too much water (or too little water?), but they haven't been out in the elements so it definitely isn't too much rain. (We've been moving them in and out weather permitting.) Also, I'm not sure what the optimal size is for this variety so I could have waited too long. Jay now has two in hand so he can eat 'em and be our guinea pig.

At least they're not as scary as Shawn's freaky carrots :-o

Quote    Reply   

#39 [url]

Apr 29 09 6:08 PM

The "stretch marks" on the peppers do indeed come from too much water. Just like a person pumping iron or a pregnant woman, the thing underneath grows faster than the skin can grow. For a pepper, this has no effect on the taste and nutrition of it, only the appearance - supermarkets prefer big, colourful fruit with no scratches or marks, we don't have to be so stupid as them. 

Carrots fork out or twist around when the soil is too rich. It's funny, but some vegetables don't produce as much or as we like it when they've really good conditions.

Just like humans - as our life expectancy goes up, so does our average age of first having children, and the number of our children goes down, too. When you expect to live to 75 and it's rare for children to die as infants, well 30-40 for first kid and just one or two seems fine. If you expect to die around 40 and have half your children die as infants, well then you'll be popping out kids by 20 and maybe 6 or 7 of them. 

For example, tomato plants don't produce much when they have plenty of sun and water and really good soil - like in a rainy jungel. But if they get a few days without water, they get stressed, think they're about to die and... put out fruit. It makes sense once you remember that the purpose of the fruit is to reproduce. 

Carrots grow their roots - the carrot - to seek out rich soil and water. So they grow best in a deep, poorly-manured bed; the root drives straight down in the search for nutrients. If you grow them after potatoes or tomatoes then they should grow nice and straight and long; the spuds and tomatoes are heavy feeders and deplete the soil. 

If the local weather conditions don't let you grow your favourite things, remember you can always put them in containers, then move the containers around to get the right conditions. For example, plants not liking direct sunlight can be put under a shady porch, which will also stop the rain hitting them so much, so you can control how much water they get. Also, since you have to fill each container with soil, you can control how rich it is. 

Quote    Reply   

#40 [url]

Apr 29 09 6:18 PM

Excellent information, kiashu, thank you.  Now I know I need to neglect my carrots a little more- I can manage that.

Where's that water coming from?

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help