Remove this ad

#245 [url]

Nov 29 10 12:13 PM

LOL, no doubt. A lot of work for those little bitty royal taros. But good yields, actually. I dug a 8 by 16 patch and got probably 40 lbs and about 150 huli out of it. Not bad as it was planted deliberately shallow for propagation. We get a little phyllosticta in the rainy weather but we've had no trouble with quality in the corms.

The taro there with the splatter pattern is an attempt at some hokey "organic" soap, i.e., bad advice, which we won't be trying again. . .for the phyllosticta. Best to just cull leaves and keep up with it. The chickens will eat the bulk of them.

Yeah! And as for the party, a good time and successful all the way around. It was a kick to discuss great and hopeful ideas with a crew of folks that seem committed to making stuff really happen. I have no doubt some serious planting was done yesterday. . .

Quote    Reply   

#247 [url]

Feb 15 11 10:39 AM

Here ya go, visual proof that even a clueless city boy with no farming experience can grow taro. I even neglected my plants (felt guilty as hell), as I was off island a good part of 5 months. And yet, by the grace of karma, I managed to get 3 respectable corms. BUT...only got two u'ala out of the deal. Not sure why.

Note that I started out with about 10 taro plants, gifted from Jay 6 months ago. Yesterday I planted 53 keiki after cleaning up the corms. Prolific little buggahs! Don't have enough dirt to support 'em all, but I tried mixing with mulch to eek out what I could. I'm guessing I'll lose a few, but still should be ahead of the game.

Click here to view the attachment

A superior man is modest in his speech, but exceeds in his actions - Confucius

Quote    Reply   

#256 [url]

Feb 24 11 2:20 PM

Pressure-cooked the taro yesterday. The heaviness of the starch really made an impression. Also didn't expect it to have such a mild taste. Inspired by ryerro's recipe, we prepared our taro lunch "Japanese style" by flavoring it with soy sauce, some sugar, a little sake (rice wine), and katsuo dashi (fish bullion).

For dinner we mixed it with curry. Amazing how filling it is.

Click here to view the attachment

A superior man is modest in his speech, but exceeds in his actions - Confucius

Quote    Reply   

#257 [url]

Feb 24 11 6:09 PM

Awesome!  Makes me wish I was back there.  It's 25 and blowing 30 knots here.  Chill factor is about 10.  This picture makes me wish I was drinking beer in Puna and watching Jay chop up island food on the rocket stove!

Quote    Reply   

#260 [url]

Dec 16 11 5:12 PM

My Squash are taking over, the chicken coup in in there some place.

Bill

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help