Remove this ad

#201 [url]

Apr 18 10 11:01 AM

Darn, we missed the plant event in Waimea.  There is another one this next Saturday at the covered area.  I think it is a BIAN sale, hmm, no come to think of it, it's an Outdoor Circle sale.  Either way, it starts at eight and I'll see if our garden club Queen wants to go.  Shall we pick you up along the way?

Several yacon would be lovely to try for windbreak.  I'm looking for something edible, windproof and if it has to be replanted periodically, that's okay.  I can have three lines of them and just sort of keep replanting as they die off.  I also don't want it really high to block the sun. 

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#202 [url]

Apr 18 10 4:25 PM

Yes, the big annual WOC plant sale is this Saturday.  I volunteer to help run it every year, as well as do their website (http://waimeaoutdoorcircle.org/)  Serious plant people know to show up early Saturday morning for the good stuff, and even more serious plant people volunteer so they can show up the night before for the special volunteer-only pre-sale.

Quote    Reply   

#203 [url]

Apr 18 10 7:56 PM

Hey, nice website!.  It's nice to have the Waimea park pamphlet available in .pdf form so it can be printed and taken to the park to look at the plants.

Well, I guess you won't be needing a ride to the WOC sale, then!  I guess the sale will keep you too busy to go to Bill's party later that afternoon, huh?  We may try to do both if we have enough energy after the plant sale.

What time is a good time to wander up your way for yacon?  

Quote    Reply   

#204 [url]

Apr 19 10 12:41 AM

Yeah, the strain on: my old car's engine, my carbon footprint, and my gas costs all prohibit driving to HPP.  But i am always here on the farm, so stop by anytime for yacon or anything else.  You can call ahead 775-9410 or just show up.

Quote    Reply   

#205 [url]

Apr 19 10 11:21 AM

Maybe we (the Garden Queen and I) will show up sometime tomorrow.  At the moment she has puppies showing up so she's kinda busy.  Baby wiener dogs are terribly cute but she has to monitor to make sure the mom dog is fine during the process.  I've got baby ducks hatching but they at least manage to do it all on their own.  Anything you need from over this way?

Quote    Reply   

#206 [url]

Apr 19 10 1:29 PM

Chooks if you go up would you mine getting some yacon for us down this way? I would come right up and pay you for them. How ever many can spare, not more than 20. Or if you plan to come to the party on the 24th  that would work also, but I would like to have them at the party, less driving around that way.
Thanks

Bill

Quote    Reply   

#210 [url]

Apr 22 10 1:45 PM

sweet, but i bet yer dog would get lost in there

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#217 [url]

Jun 3 10 7:32 PM

I think this was Dwarf WI apple I got out at the group outing about 4 mouths ago to Evening Rain Farm.The  one is the dirt/ mulch pile that will get biochar and fertilizer this week and plants next week. I have two more loads of mulch and more dirt to add. Then I have one where the Asparagus is going after I get the seeds started.

Click here to view the attachment

Bill

Quote    Reply   

#220 [url]

Jun 5 10 11:06 AM

Bill,
Looks good.  I am glad to see you getting things done well now.  Then you will be all rested up and can help me do mine when we get there in a few months - LOL.

You must have pods on your winged beans by now?  Mine are finally starting to take off and I have a few blooms and even one small pod.  I am not sure how good a job the inoculant did.  Several of the plants were looking yellowish and slow.  I tried adding some soluble kelp (Maxicrop) and some fish emulsion without much effect.  I finally added some nitrogen fertilizer and they greened up and took off.

I had made 8 foot long by 8 foot high trellises with fence wire tied to bent galvanized conduit tied to T-fenceposts driven into the ground.  Unfortunately, we had some windy weather yesterday after several days of rain and 2 trellises with the heaviest growth leaned over on their neighbors.  I did not drive the posts deep enough.  I had to drive new posts deeper, pull the trellises back vertical and tie them to the new posts.  Things look fine now, but you have to take side loads from wind into account as well as vertical loads from the plants - LOL.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help