Remove this ad

#181 [url]

Mar 11 10 10:38 PM

I did stick the stick back into the ground. I tapped it today, its either making a come back or I did a really solid job tamping it in. ;P

Yes maam propane, yeah I don't think Tim would mind firing stuff as long as you were helping with the gas cost and drinking beers with him while it fires {or at least telling him stories while he drinks the beers}. But geez transporting bone dry from laupahoehoe to here sounds nuts. 

If you want to shortcut the project, my friend offers pretty reasonable classes up above Hilo. She has everything, as far as slips stains, all sorts of fun stuff to play with, a garden to die for, and both she and her partner are fantastic ceramicists so you'd be in the company of a lot of inspiration. 

I'd offer and say come on down and work here but you saw the studio, its tiny. BUT, you could come play once in a while, there's room for that.

Puna rain makes me feel rich! soursopstudio.blogspot.com/

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#183 [url]

Mar 11 10 11:47 PM

Black pepper vine hasn't done well for me, I think it is harder than grapes.  Maybe Ivy can coax it into behaving for us, we hope?

Transporting bone dry shouldn't be that much of a problem if it isn't thin porcelain stuff, no?  Oh wellos, I should build a kiln and a wheel and all that other good stuff.  How hard is it to build a kiln?  Aren't there propane fittings one can get and then more or less create a properly ventilated box of firebrick?  I just need to put it on the list of things to do.  Maybe I should chat with your friend in Hilo, that's a bit closer but most times the price gets too much for me to go.

Quote    Reply   

#184 [url]

Mar 11 10 11:59 PM

I have a hoard/cache of used USPS priority mail boxes, packing peanuts & those blow up plastic pillow things for packing. Do you two want them for transporting ceramics? 

Quote    Reply   

#187 [url]

Mar 12 10 12:35 PM

Erin, why do your grapes need petting? And I really think if you chop your pepper down to a foot at the lower 5, let it resprout and then dig it out with a chunk of root you'll be fine, but just maybe do it soon, don't wait for summer. 

Sure, if youre not using the packing stuffs, I'm sure Timmeh could put em to use. Thank yee!
And dude, explain the diagram to me, what?

Chooksie;) dont listen to Erin, her pepper vine is gangbusters at her farm, shes just concerned about moving it. She's got the magic petting finger too. { Erin, im not hitting on you either ;P} 

And dude, bone dry scares me no matter what it is, even b mix. 
A kiln isnt that hard to make, especially since you guys are builders, I'm just thinking fire brick might be hard to come by on island. You're welcome to come down and look at our kiln, its home made and really simple so you should be able to copy or at least get ideas off of it. Also Jamie and Steven, the ceramicists in Hilo { specifically Steven} are very familiar with working with a lot of different kilns, it might be great to talk to him and brainstorm a couple ideas. 

I know, cost is kicking our butts right now too, so I'm serious, if you just wanna come down and play for a day or so you're welcome to. Just give us about a month more to get out of development stage and once were into production, studio space and time should free up some and then come on down. I have a guest room. 

Quote    Reply   

#188 [url]

Mar 12 10 12:42 PM

the photo got cropped, if you click on the photo it gets bigger.  Anyway, the humor was that 'septic tank' was typod as "sceptic tank".

Ha ha, no you DO have the gift.  My grape and pepper cuttings screwed the pooch, yours lived.  So, if I give the pepper a big haircut, I could try rooting those cuttings, right?  Would you be willing to take a few since you have better luck?  I've killed 5 live plants & 12 cuttings in 3 years.  Black pepper is my favorite spice & I have the worst growing mojo with it - how ironic.

TImmeh will have boxes & stuffins galore.

Quote    Reply   

#189 [url]

Mar 12 10 12:55 PM

Ohhh......... I see....

Haa. 

Yarr, give it a haircut soon and I'm sure it will be fine, Welll...if you want to make sure-ish, check the growth and see if spring has hit it yet. If it's flushing out anything new, then go for it. Cut it off above something that looks like it's coming out, low as you can go. Cut away from the bud. 

Yarr I'll try some cuttings. But to be honest I didn't do much last time but stick them into a pot in the shade and watch the water. Hey, but if you want to believe I've got the pepper mojo, got for it! It might help in some sort of side effecty, bounce off the good energy type way. 
I'm pretty sure my first grape cutting went cos the sheer will of my entire mind and body wanted it to. We took em in the totally wrong season. 

Timmeh says tanks!

Quote    Reply   

#190 [url]

Mar 14 10 1:05 PM

Jay is a really, really RICH person!  Look at how much Home DePot sells little sprigs of Uala Piko for!

That is $5.37 written on the price tag and they've got several dozen there to sell.  Amazing!  No other varieties of sweets, though, or we might have been tempted to get a copy if it was a new variety.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#197 [url]

Apr 15 10 2:12 PM

I gave you that kine. Its the white sweet potato the filipinos grow for leaf veggies. Don't know the name. Maybe it is the Helehele. It's vine is the one that Chooks described. 
I noticed in my garden that the potatoes of those were found deeper than the rest so you might have a store underground there. ;)

Quote    Reply   

#198 [url]

Apr 16 10 6:24 PM

Actually it looks exactly like a yacon to me.  I guess like they say about luggage at the baggage claim, most tubers look the same. You could try tasting a slice of it raw.  If it's a sweet potato, it won't kill you.  If it's a yacon, it'll be crispy and mildly sweet like a pear.

Quote    Reply   

#199 [url]

Apr 17 10 1:35 AM

Don't your yacons look sort of like large flowers?  Almost a shrub sort of a plant?  Bill didn't show the leaves of the plant, but if it had branches like a shrub or multi-branched sunflower sort of a thing, then it could be a yacon.  If it is a viney thing, though, then I'll bet on sweet potato.

Do you have any yacon starts potted up for sale yet, Ben?  I could use one or two out to the farm.  Do you think they'd make good windbreaks?

Quote    Reply   

#200 [url]

Apr 18 10 4:33 AM

I always have yacon potted up and ready to go in the ground.  I gave away a couple dozen at a recent plant event at waimea farmer's market.  You can have a couple any time you stop by my farm.
Windbreak, not so much (they are an annual).  The good news is that they do seem to stand up to wind - at the Mala'ai garden in Waimea, in a super windy area, they did just fine.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help