Remove this ad

#261 [url]

Dec 16 11 9:24 PM

What kind have you had the most success with?

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#266 [url]

Dec 17 11 5:04 PM

Can one actually have a squash-stud?
No seriously, that's a dandy. And I can't help but wondering what it's thinking...
No, no. Seriously serious. If that's akin to kabocha, well one shouldn't discount harvesting green ones, as that'd be standard procedure.
...I too has got some lady-squashes that might entertain the notion of a brief reproductive squashing.
Hmm, maybe a should read a book about squash reproduction first. I might be misinformed.
Do they even have wangers?

Quote    Reply   

#267 [url]

Dec 17 11 8:27 PM

It would be somewhat ironic to have a crush on a squash we suppose!

In my experience different types of squash/summer/winter/pumpkin etc. are very promiscuous, and what you end up with if you plant them too close together are unpredictable hybrids, some which can be quite interesting and even tasty, but some  (I am reminded of a certain zuchini/pumpkin hybid which was entirely insipid), can be pretty unpalatable.  I remember hundreds of unfamiliar (to me with experience as a Northwest truck farmer) varieties were available when I was in Afghanistan.  Every region had their own favorite varieties - as with potatoes in South America.

Still, Cucurbita is an amazingly adaptable and varied family, including summer and winter squash, gourds, and melons.  Surely ideal varieties could be quickly bred for the various microclimates on the Islands.  Sounds like a great project!  

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#268 [url]

Dec 18 11 9:28 AM

I will not sell the seeds but you can have a Squash anytime. It is great tasting, and now we have a lot, and are giving them away.

We cut and eat the green ones.

By the way this is mulch on non ripped lava.

Bill

Quote    Reply   

#271 [url]

Apr 28 12 12:12 PM

Muscovies. They've shown to be pretty effective for ultra-low care bids. They're tough, quiet, and mostly take care of themselves. Negatives? Lazy, and filthy-- so one would want space away from the house for them. They're powerful fliers and the dogs rarely get at them, but the mongoose are tough on the eggs and chicks. We pull the chicks as soon as they hatch and hand raise them. The ducks put on size much faster than chickens.

As meat birds they're excellent. More like beef than poultry. The drakes are probably 15 lbs, hens maybe 8.

Quote    Reply   

#273 [url]

Apr 28 12 9:47 PM

Yup, hence we're keeping them until we've got a viable breeding population.

They are trippy, quite smart, very tough. Pretty much useless for egg production but eat almost anything including raw taro, which is a cautionary note. They'll eat banana stalks right down to the ground too, so it's worth having plenty. They can fly like a mallard if they want to, which is seldom, but I've seen mine occasionally waiting for me to come home a half mile away at the intersection. When the get in the air they blaze like a mallard, probably 50+ mph, very fast for a bird. Dogs can't catch them as they'll rise vertically. The drakes are a lot slower as bigger and are loath to fly, but can.

More goose than duck. I hear Heyerdahl's ghost again, whispering over my shoulder.

Quote    Reply   

#274 [url]

Apr 29 12 12:58 PM

Khaki Campbells are good for egg production, but I don't know of any pure strains left.  They've mostly been intermingled with mallard.  Roast duck is really good stuff!  Hmm, somewhere there is a recipe for roast duck with mash potato dressing.  Home raised duck is a lot less greasy than commercially raised duck, too.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help