Remove this ad

Lead

Apr 8 13 9:55 PM

Tags : :

Has anyone seen dandelion growing here ? What about other wild edible  greens ?
I have seen plantain and elderberry  around 1500 foot elevation.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

Apr 8 13 10:15 PM

I've not seen any of those up here.  

Started eating sweet potato greens this year.  Not bad!  And it's pretty easy to get such a volume of those going that they'll grow about as fast as I can eat them.  Don't care much for them alone, but in a stew or whatever they work as well as spinach or kale.  Good nutritional profile I understand.  

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

Apr 16 13 11:53 PM

Do you want dandelions?  I can give you seeds if you want them.  Mostly they get fed to bunnies, I dunno as if dandelion greens would be all that tasty, but I've not tried them either.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#4 [url]

Apr 17 13 10:20 PM

Try them with onions or garlic in a stew. That's my preferred method. I have (and most in these parts) a plentitude of wild onions and dandelions. You don't know how funny it sounds to hear someone actually SEEKING dandelion.... True, they are very nutritious and high in vitamin A, but can quickly take over, particularly on marginal or recently disturbed soil. They are very attractive to pollinators but, as there can be so many of them, it seems they detract interest in fruit blossoms. However the blossom can be used in salads, tea, or to make wine. The roasted root can also be used for a tea.

Derl

Quote    Reply   

#5 [url]

Jul 21 13 10:28 AM

My grandmother would make a hot bacon dressing for dandelion greens. She always picked them young, I think before they flowered!
I was wondering about purslane.  I have seen patches down by Hilo bay.  I didn't know they needed a salty environment! Are they growing anywhere else?  I read where they are one of the under rated greens and are packed with vitamins.  I like your editing ...I started with one sentence and edited 4 times!   Lol

Quote    Reply   

#6 [url]

Jul 27 13 1:54 PM

I have some "golden purslane" in the garden now (from a seed packet...).  Supposed to be a selection developed from the wild variety.  One of our grandmas or grandpas must have brought it to us.  Eat heartily...

http://eattheinvaders.org/purslane/

It started bolting about one week ago but remains tasty.  Going to let it go to seed to see how it returns next year.

Derl

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help