Remove this ad

Lead

Jan 28 13 10:13 AM

Tags : :

I have started to build alum battery and you start by removing  the acid from a lead acid battery. I am now charging and discharging the battery to form it. The problem I have now is how to get rid of the acid safely. I know the soda will work, but this stuff is real bad to work with, and it takes a lot of soda.
Any one know how too get rid of it easy???
NO NOT DOWN THE DRAIN, OR DUMP OUT.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

Jan 29 13 9:14 PM

Bill, maybe call County of Hawaii Hazardous Waste Disposal folks?  The number is on the bulletin board at the Pahoa Dump.  I'd imagine Hilo and Kea'au would have the number available too.

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

Feb 2 13 2:12 PM

I neutralize the acid but was hoping for a better way. Do you know how much soda it takes to neutralize 2 qt of battery acid? about 6 -8 cups. You have to dilute it first.
The lead I will just "load" in a bad battery and trade it in.

I have not tried 's idea    "County of Hawaii Hazardous Waste Disposal folks" yet, but will check.
Thanks hooligal

Bill

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

Feb 2 13 10:56 PM

I was thinking of the lead present in the acid solution.  For neutralization, if it were the mainland I'd try a bucket of limestone gravel.  Here, ag lime?  Portland cement?  Not sure how violently any of that would react.  Watch the caustic fumes.  Dilute lye and dilute acid would also work.  Not sure if any of these would be less trouble/expense than soda.

Not sure how much particulate lead might be suspended in battery acid.  County waste disposal might be the best bet.  Let us know what they say.  

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#5 [url]

Feb 3 13 10:02 AM

The lead comes out real fast, it is a lot heavier then acid or water' after about 1 hour the "water" is clear all the black stuff is on the bottom and can be pored of easy. then I add soda to the black stuff. If I use some things like limestone I can get a concrete type material. The soda just mix's in.

So far I am just getting about 300+ watts out of a 6 volt battery and should be about 1000 watts, but I am told that the battery has to be charged many times to get here, but then you don't have to stop at 20% discharge   - no sulfate build up on the plates. Life a lot longer again no sulfate. No longer 3-5 years at 20% now 8-10 at 70%.

Bill

Quote    Reply   

#6 [url]

Feb 6 13 1:28 PM

The advantages of the alum battery are many:

• The battery fluid is non corrosive
  • The battery gas is not explosive
  • The battery can be discharged more deeply
  • The battery can be charged much faster
  • The battery will last longer
  • There is no corrosion of the terminals
  • It is extremely cheap
  • More power in cold weather
  • Environmentally Friendly
  • 1.75 times the storage capacity as a Lead Acid Battery
  • No memory effect for charging and discharging

Interesting...So what are the CONS?  You know what they say?  If it sounds too good to be true...well, it probably is.

Quote    Reply   

#7 [url]

Feb 6 13 6:39 PM

The voltage is a little lower about 12 volts. And there may be others that I have not found yet, I have not got the full power out of my test unit out yet.
A 220 Ah battery used 30% is only 50 amps useable  If you don't have to worry about sulfate you could use it down to 70% or 150 amps and it would last longer.

Bill

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help