Remove this ad

Lead

Dec 12 12 10:08 AM

Tags : :

I just received and planted 50 each Red burgundy and Supersweet onions both are SHORT DAY.  have not had great luck with onions and hope sets will do better. Any one had great luck with any onion???

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#2 [url]

Dec 12 12 1:52 PM

I don't have great luck with Paradise Plants A high percent die on me. Some are $20 market ones live and I have been told that they come from the same place???

Bill

Quote    Reply   

#7 [url]

Dec 14 12 12:05 PM

I have grown Egyptian walking onions (top setting) for two years now. Pretty cool because they essentially grow their own set for replanting along with the larger ground bulb. I mention them because I originally planted a portion in April, and some in November. Both portions matured in a very similar fashion, just separated by ~3 months. Maybe they would be less affected by a tropical climate. Although they are very cold tolerant, as the name implies, they originated far south of me. They are strong tasting, well suited for seasoning. I just like them sautéed with mushrooms though.

Derl

Quote    Reply   

#8 [url]

Dec 14 12 12:49 PM

I struck out with onions, but I'm not exactly a green thumb either.

Always wondered why such tasty onions grow on Maui but not the Big Island...

A superior man is modest in his speech, but exceeds in his actions - Confucius

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#10 [url]

Dec 15 12 6:17 PM

We have big green onions and just cut the tops for onion flavor.  There are also smaller bunching green onions and we cut their tops for onion flavor, too.  They get treated pretty much like chives, actually.  If we want crispy in a salad, instead of using onion, we use hicama, yacon or celery.

If you do find an onion that will make bulbs, is there any way to get sets or seeds from it?  

Quote    Reply   

#13 [url]

Dec 16 12 10:18 PM

Sounds like your Egyptians are waiting for winter+summer dormancy Buffychick. I just read a post from another forum of someone having similar trouble in Georgia (slightly warmer than western Oregon). So much for my first suggestion.
Jay, are you having decent success with bulb onions? It may be the altitude and temperature difference. Could be a potassium deficiency also. Wood ash is a good source. Combined chicken manure gives more acidity if you need it. A soil test may be valuable if bulbs are a must. Onion "sets" are either immature or small mature bulbs. Immature is certainly easier to grow but you're interrupting a growth cycle which can confuse a replanted bulb. Seeds require that the onion finish maturing the bulb, and then bolt. Sounds like that's more difficult to come by on the mini-continent.

Derl

Quote    Reply   

#16 [url]

Dec 17 12 7:22 PM

Well said mrostron!!! I can feel the sleepy favas shakin' root as I play this at 45.3 north where not much of anything is growing!

Derl

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help