Remove this ad

Lead

Nov 20 12 1:47 AM

Tags : :

Hi everyone!  Long time no post, but I finally moved to the island three months ago with my girlfriend Jasmine.  We've been doing work trade with a friend to stay at his place in Kapoho on Papaya Farms Rd, and helping out a taro farmer nearby to learn a bit about tropical farming and get a bunch of tasty food.

We're trying to learn about different areas of the island, so although we like it down here, we want to live for a few months in the Kurtistown/Mountain View area.  Does anyone know of any work-trade or care-taking opportunities?  We're both knowledgeable about permaculture principles and design, both have a lot of experience with temperate gardening and food forests (and increasing our knowledge every day of tropical plants and systems!), and I have some amateur handyman skills from a major remodel of my old house.  We're quiet & clean, reliable and honest, and can provide references.

I hope to get a chance to see some of you again soon, and meet some new folks too!
Norris

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

Nov 20 12 12:53 PM

Welcome  home Norris ! 
Glad to have you join us , again. 

Work is pretty scarce this time of year.  There is a big orchid farm/ greenhouse 
above Mt View. They might have some work. There are several
ag businesses  in that area:
Plant It Hawaii the tree farm in Kurtistown, there is a daylily farm too,
the Hilo Coffee Mill has coffee trees but I think the picking is over. 
They may be doing some pruning. There are numerous greenhouses along the road to
Volcano . I believe one is hydroponic tomato  place.
I would just stop in and talk to each one.

Also, there are a bunch of Bed n Breakfast places in Volcano . I would 
see if they need help in exchange for a room.

Quote    Reply   

#2 [url]

Nov 21 12 7:38 PM

Hi buffychick,

Thanks for the reply and for the welcome!  I like your idea of checking with Bed & Breakfast places.  I think your ideas for the tree farm, daylily farm, and so on are for cash paying jobs?  For work-trade, I meant places where we can work on a farm or homestead in exchange for staying there...do you think those sorts of commercial operations would have that opportunity?

Thanks again for your ideas!
Norris

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help