Remove this ad

Lead

Nov 19 12 10:54 AM

Tags : :

Fracking , shale oil etc.Kunstler  wrote up a pretty good summary of
what is happening  with our oil situation.

http://kunstler.com/blog/2012/11/epic-disappointment.html

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#3 [url]

Nov 20 12 12:40 AM

Call me naive but I hasten to add that we all have our own wellness/illness granularity knob that we can turn from macro to micro. Living on this mini-continent here seems all the more fortunate for folks who are audacious enough to find ways to take back our labor.

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

Nov 25 12 9:25 AM

I suppose I'm at the border of acceptance and ignorance when it comes to our planet's social and energy situation. While in my circle of concern, my circle of influence appears like the head of a pin. The good and fortunate thing is, all of us have a myriad of skills to share that allow us to thrive. Of most importance, we all gotta stop wanting MORE...

Derl

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#5 [url]

Nov 25 12 11:33 AM

Heh, That's a head of a pin of light! (well, sounds better to be a lit pinhead anyway) As one who had the distinct honor of being at a humungo Best Buy in a humungo pile of metro...stuff yesterday, I'm a little unclear on, if we...participants in such a resource-grab would be able to play our collective 'ignorance'-get-out-of-jail-free-card as a valid response to the obvious front-end of landfills full of consumer electronics (which may be far from the worst of the consequences) I think I might be starting to side with the Jayster who doesn't hesitate to proffer the word "evil". I wonder when our national discourse (assuming there were such a thing) might adopt our "evil-doing" as a valid approach to terming the actors (and actions) and so on. Not holding my breath! ...Like if our media would embrace it as our entire citizenship speaking as though at an AA meeting (CA...consumers anonymous). And then of course, the person that stands up to summarize "just don't drink!" would be welcome too! Would, "Bob is too confused to stop drinking!" be an acceptable observation? heh (I s'pose it should be...to an extent) Fuck if I know, really. I still conclude that the devil is in the details. And as I sit at my MacBook drinking coffee from lord knows where, I'm grateful for this warble-friendly forum, and particularly the group of friends, real and potential, who inhabit our little corner of Best Buy!

Quote    Reply   

#6 [url]

Nov 26 12 12:43 PM

I'll be the first one to stand up at the newly coined CA meeting!

One way to evaluate the health of a psyche each morning is, well first ask: Did I wake up? If yes --> Sweet! Continue on. Then ask if you're seeing a problem or a possibility. Personally, focusing energy on what I can most influence and letting the rest be allows me to see possibilities.
Although having similar values to a front liner in Green Peace, I cannot be the person who lays down on a boreal forest covered shale oil deposit to save that forest from the bulldozer. I see too much similarity in that when compared to the belligerence displayed on both sides of the Gaza strip.
Back I go to feeding the chickens my unripe second fig crop. Work to do on the new greenhouse before the oil runs out to make the plastic.

Derl

Quote    Reply   

#8 [url]

Dec 10 12 1:12 PM

That lays it out in a nutshell, and is the key information of why "sustainability" is interesting. Unfortunately, the "sustainability" movement is all but dead, fully co-opted by those trying to sell snake oil and techno-fixes that allow us to maintain our current levels of consumption--which don't. And of course, the public is much more interested in hearing the pitch "of the easy technofix way" rather than the real deal. They'll wise up eventually, as the screw-ups are pretty conspicuous. The collapse of "Big Island Carbon" recently is a good example-- the execs make humongous salaries selling the baloney vision of biochar and synth oil and finally once it can't be concealed any further that the whole idea is bogus and can't work within a functional economy it's all whoopsy and bankruptcy-- meanwhile pocketing those salaries. We haven't seen the last of that and I expect geothermal will go the same way.

The key lesson of studying sustainability is that "lifestyles must and will change"-- there is no option. As our costs of living increase due to commodity costs-- likely to double over the next decade one's options are:

1) Figure out how to earn twice as much money
2) Work twice as hard
3) Learn to live well on half as much(my choice)
4) Suffer.

Fortunately our culture is so affluent that one can pare back a great deal and still achieve relative comfort. The benefit of the collapse coming is that currently certain sectors of the economy retain immunity to these pressures and the cost of their services are grossly out of reference to what is sustainable(health care, education, real estate come to mind)-- but these will in fact be forced to yield and I expect will become more rather than less accessible-- which they largely aren't right now.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help